Friday, June 22, 2012

Sketching under the rain

Rain is common in Berlin even in summer. I was walking in Alexander Platz and I saw this scene: the usually crowded square was empty and a lot of people were taking shelter under the World Clock. It was just a "sketch moment" . I stand under a building and started drawing.
When painting  rainy scenes the first question I ask myself is where are the reflections and how are they. You know dark colors surfaces reflect more than light colors surfaces. That is important for the composition since shadows or reflections could have the same or weight in the drawing as the object itself.
World Clock
Here is a detail of the people.
Detail World Clock
I always use a Faber Castell Pitt Pen (in these case Sepia color) when working with watercolors (Windsor and Newton). The Pitt Pens are water resistant. The Sketchbook: Stillman & Birn Alpha

No comments:

Post a Comment